Friday, January 27, 2006

I Have the Best Fam Damily in the Whole World! Nay, the Universe!

Yesterday afternoon, as I trudged past the reception desk on my way to another evening of lesson plans and Sprite followed by a 9 pm bedtime, one of the reception girls called my name.

"Lo-laagghh!"

Since the reception girls seem to resent the existence of. . .well, of people in general, I was a little startled. But I turned around, and, lo and behold (despite the fact that I am not sure what it means to "lo" something), Reception Girl is holding out two packages!

That's right, one TWO packages! On zero ONE day! (Okay, that one didn't work quite as well.) But anyway, there were TWO! Dos! Song! (That's two in Thai, genius.) Just that might have made my day. . .but there's more!

There was stuff IN the packages!! Hooray!! The smaller one was from my poo-poo Mommy, containing a refill of my vitamins- my Thank God Tom Cruise Isn't In Charge Or Else I Would Be Dead Right Now vitamins- and some sour belts from Sweet Factory. I love that poo-poo mommy. She knows not to get those crap generic sour belts from the drugstore. . .she gets the proper Sweet Factory kind. Because she is my POO-POO MOMMY!!

The other package, a delightfully large square box, was from my Daddy-O and related fam, and was, if this is possible, EVEN BETTER. I was tempted not to open it, in order to give myself time to savor the beauty that is a big care package from family. Alright, that was a lie. I wasn't tempted at all to leave that sucker unopened. In fact I nearly slit my own throat in my haste to slash it open. Inside was a pound of sour gummi worms. . .that's right I said ONE POUND. . .and a bag of parmesan goldfish, otherwise known as Pepperidge Farms Must Be Located In The General Vicinity Of Heaven Crackers. And, even BETTER, if you can conceive of such a thing, was a little square box in the corner. . .containing the coolest thing in the Universe if you are far far away from home. . .something I never dared hope for in my wildest dreams, and they get pretty wild when no one speaks your language. . . .

. . .wait for it. . .

A TALKING PICTURE FRAME.

Now I have a picture of my brother Sam and sisters Sophie and Mimi, and when I press a little button on the frame I can hear them say "Hi Laura! This is Sam. . .and this is Sophie. . .and this is Mimi! Happy New Year! We love you!"

Can you IMAGINE anything better?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home