Monday, October 03, 2005

Aaaarrrggghhh. . .ya free Saturday night?


Speaking of pirates. . .Sunday I joined the Raider Nation, eyepatch and all. Beating the Cowboys 19-13 was just icing on the really fun, slightly frightening black-and-silver cake. This here is John, my step-dad's good friend since they went to high school together, back in the Stone Age. He's wearing #75 in honor of John Vella, another high school friend of theirs who played on the Raiders' offensive line for a decade or so, back in the '70's and '80's (i.e., the Stone Age). He came over and had a chat, and nearly blinded me with the bling of his Superbowl ring. Only thing I regret about being a girl is that I will never get a Superbowl ring.

It was a great game, and not because I got two free Coors Lights. Okay, not ONLY because I got two free Coors Lights. My favorite part was Dallas' last possession of the game. They had the ball on the Raiders' 5, roughly 2 minutes left in the game, and the score is 19-13. A very, very uncomfortable score and field position. And that kick-ass Raiders defense stopped the Cowboys cold, FOUR TIMES. On the fourth down when the carrier got downed at about the 1, or maybe the .5, I nearly gave myself an aneurysm from screaming. Beer, nachos and football: what more could a girl want? Oh, that's right: an eyepatch!


The game was made doubly exciting by these two facts; one, I hate the Cowboys for some mysterious cosmic reason not actually based on fact, always will. And two, no team has ever come back from 0-4 to make the Playoffs, but 1-3? Totally doable.

See all my pictures from the game here.

Read about the game from someone who knows a lot more about football than I do here.

And don't worry Sarah; I'll always be a Niner fan. It's just that they played in Mexico City this week- that's a little farther away than Oakland. Oh, and they suck. I'm a little disappointed in Alex Smith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home