Monday, December 12, 2005

See how much I'm NOT complaining?

I got to talk to the parental units this weekend and it was GREAT. Not only was it GREAT, it was GRRRRRREAT. Hearing their voices for the first time in almost two months reminded me that there are people in the world who love me and miss me and think that I'm great and all I'm trying to do here is great. (You love me, you really love me!) Better for energy level and general morale than crack cocaine.

Speaking of crack, my sink and shower are backing up and I can't seem to find a Thai translation for "plumber." They need plumbers here, surely? Any assistance would be appreciated.

The past week or so have been a VAST improvement over the first two weeks of school. By about the middle of the second week I was thisclose to chucking in the whole thing and hitchhiking back to California, to fall gratefully into my (soft, oh so soft) own bed and also headfirst into a heaping plate of fettuccine Alfredo. Oh how I miss pasta.

But I stuck it out because Mama said there'd be days like this. That's a song, for those of you who don't like Oldies or don't have compulsive singers in the family. And I'm really glad I did. I'm learning so much and so quickly, it's kind of shocking. It's like your most interesting subject in school. You know how you always had that one class that you actually paid attention to, because you were just fascinated by the stuff? That's what it feels like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Life is good said...

Hey Lolo,

My names Charlie. I came across your blog on a random reading through blogger. I read most of your post about coming to Thailand and how its been on ya.. haha This quote just brought back memories.. In your post of Thai me up, you said "What the hell, as long as there are no squating toilets." haha its funny cuz thats all they've got out here. You'll find a western toilet about 2 out of 5 times. I've still got a flawless record of using one, but I know the day will come when nature strikes and theres no where else to run.

I've been in Thailand for almost a year now. God only knows how I did it because my first 2 months were hell. The damn mosquitoes are aiming to kill me and the weather was blazin. Things are cool now because winters in and its starting to resemble my home town. I came from the O.C., so this was a big change for me. I originally came on vacation. The first 2 months almost broke me, but I didnt find my spot til I ended up here in the North. I've got mountains to bring in the breeze and no traffic to drive me crazy. I'm hella far from the beach, but I've made plans for a Phuket trip before I leave. Whenever that might be =P

Anyway, enough about me. I know what you're going through and its not easy. BUT!, what kept me going was always remembering that 1 reason of why I came. I cant tell you what it is because only you know what brought you here. Whatever that might be.. hold onto it and things will work out fine. I dunno, you may not even have a reason. This could be One of those random choices we make. Those are the best though because we dont know what to expect. Which makes it all that much better.

Seriously, I've learned so much about another culture and how they value things I didnt back home. Considering 99.9% things are fake here, the materialistic society I came from doesnt even exist. People are happy and I've been greeted with smiles almost every day. Teaching is something new for me and to be honest its brought me the 1 of the warmest feeling I've ever had. The thought of teaching something to someone and knowing they'll carry it for the rest of their lives just makes you feel good. I dont know what level you're teaching at, but I got over 500+ 6 year olds. =X I consider myself an Entertainer more then a Teacher, because nobody wants to learn anything if they're not having fun. Let me know if you need help with some fun games.

Dont give up on this Lolo, hang in there and things will work out fine. I never learned so much about myself til I came out on my own. Its a test of life, so lets see what you can do. Good luck.

Charlie

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home